|Number of pages||34|
|Cover Phrase||In the profound darkness, turn on the light|
|Anime counterpart||Episode 12|
| Preceded by|
| Followed by|
The volume was released on the 25th of May 2005 in Japan, and March (date unknown) 2009 in North America. Its ISBNs are 978-4-7580-5225-2 and 978-1-60510-033-3 respectively.
A depressed man is stopped in the street by a fortune teller who grants him three wishes in exchange for his soul. The man agrees, leaves with his wishes and begins to use them up, wishing for money, a woman and freedom, but the wishes turn him into a monster when he bludgeons his girlfriend to death. When he has used them, the fortune teller returns and takes his soul.
Meanwhile, Teito and his new rival Hakuren Oak get off to a rough start, greeting each other with insults. While Teito pursues Burupya, who has climbed onto Hakuren's head, he stumbles across Bastien exorcising a Kor. Meanwhile, the man from before had become a Wars and tries to attack his former colleagues, but he is destroyed by Frau and his scythe. Whilst being shown to his room, Teito discovers his room mate is Hakuren, and when going to the practice hall the receptionist there suddenly collapses.
After taking him to the infirmary, Teito and Hakuren arrive at the practice hall with Hakuren demonstrating his skill with a Baculus, and Teito struggling at first. However, when thinking of Mikage, Teito floods the device with power so that he breaks the Baculus and the barrier. The Baculus Teito used is revealed to be Frau's, which makes Hakuren furious that Teito did not know how skilled Frau was while using his Baculus. Meanwhile, Aldo, the receptionist, is murdered by a mysterious figure.
Quotes from this ChapterEdit
- "As for you...Remember the value of living a human life." - Frau (Page 16)
- "The spirit of affection and service are the first steps of serving God." (Page 18)
- "This is a mark left by the layers of blood shed by the efforts of those aiming for the clergy." - Teito, thought (Page 19)
- "When you give it your feelings, it will definitely respond." - Hakuren about using the bascule (Page 27)
- "At that age...to exceed the Zaiphon limit of the bascule...A troublesome child..." - Bastien regarding Teito's capabilities
Characters in order of AppearanceEdit